Re: Distractions and old friends

In a message dated 05/05/2003 10:58:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lyoung@grindertaber.com writes:

> Also at our feeders this weekend were old friends we had not seen in
> several years.  Two male and one female Rose Breasted Grossbeaks made an
> appearance.  They won't be here long, but it is certainly nice to see
> them again.
We had a male Rose-Breasted Grossbeak at our feeder this week - the first
I've seen in several years.  They used to be fairly common, and the Evening
Grossbeaks came in flocks, but neither has been around in recent years.
Don't know why.
The hummingbird appeared this weekend - I'd put the feeders up last week
because the hummingbird migration site said they were already beyond us.
He's been quite active - trying out both feeders repeatedly, but spending a
lot of time with the quinces and crabapples too.  Such fun to watch
Another bird that has appeared this year after several years' absence is the
Hairy Woodpecker.  We have lots of Downys - can see four or five at once at
the feeders - and at least one pair of Red-bellies, but haven't seen the
Hairys for quite a while.
This morning a Catbird came to the feeder.  They are here every year - nest
in the Clematis vine on the garden fence and try to drive me out of the
garden - but I've never seen them come to the feeder before.

>I'd probably get a lot more gardening done if the birds weren't around,
>but it would not be anywhere near as enjoyable!

Life is too short not to take every opportunity to enjoy the natural beauties
around us.