Re: Salix integra HN > nasty day

Sorry. When I mentioned marginal plants I assumed that the plants that would come to mind would be Iris versicolor (American blue flag iris) and Iris fulva (the copper iris). Should know we aren't all wetland nuts!
Cathy
On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 07:53 AM, Kitty wrote:

Cathy,
Re:  He came home
with I. versicolor, and I. fulva,

I.?  Ilex?, Impatiens?, Iris?, Itea?, ??????

Kitty

-------Original Message-------
From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>
Sent: 05/12/03 09:29 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Salix integra HN > nasty day

I went with the specific purpose of getting purple prairie clover
(Dalea purpurea) but also picked up seedling New Jersey teas (Ceanothus
americanus) and another Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia).
Yes, I could have dug a Virginia creeper at the back of my property,
but it was there in a pot and looking at me like it wanted a good home.
My spouse was looking for marginal species to plant by the farm pond,
where berm repairs essentially decimated all plantings. He came home
with I. versicolor, and I. fulva, plus blue lobelia (Lobelia
syphilitica). I told him that we had the lobelia self seeding all over
the "swamp" and he could just transplant, but I guess he was in  the
same situation I was with the Virginia creeper!
The Missouri Botanic Garden is great - you could spend several days. It
is located right in the city. The "Nature Center" is located probably
40+ miles south west of the city. It was originally purchased because
the Botanic Garden's plants were dying from city air pollution, but the
atmospheric situation improved before they effected their move. It was
then developed as a showcase for native plants - their wildflower
garden and wetland areas are great. And anyone who isn't into that can
always go a few miles east up I44 to 6 Flags.
Cathy