RE: Since we are on id'ing and stuff....

. so what do you all
> think
> > happened to this hosta? I think it was a rabbit....:( At first I
> blamed
> > the hail storms... but the one right next to it (not in this
> picture)is
> > fine...
>
> Does look chewed up, more like slugs than rabbit to me.  Critters
> tend to bite more cleanly tho' it could be rabbit gnawing + slugs

Well Marge,
Will investigate for slugs, just seems too early for them. It also
appears to just be the front side of the plant that is effected.

> > last is this a weed or what?!? Has a definite red streak on the
> edges.
>
> Looks mighty like some sort of lily to me, really.  Are you sure you
> didn't plant a lily near that spot one year or other?  The only other
> thing it more or less resembles is the progeny of Carex 'Sparkler',
> who are green, not variegated.  But, from your image, it looks more
> succulent about the foliage and stem than a Carex.
>
> I'd leave it and see if it blooms, when it will be easier to ID.

I have not planted a lily within 40 ft of this. Not to mention I don't
have one that looks like it either. Maybe one of the neighborhood
critters planted it for me. Will have to browse around the and see if
someone has this... but I doubt it.. this is a evergreen and perfect
lawn neighborhood... except for my house:)

Donna