Re: Pagoda dogwood

> From: Donna  <justme@prairieinet.net>
> I do have the weirdest crab apple tree tho... This is the SECOND
year it
> does not have any leaves on it. How is it living?!? Everyone who
> at it from a distance, tells me it is dead, they touch it, and all
> it is alive. Going to dig it out, but...??? I just don't get it!

Plants do some photosynthesizing through their stems and branches,
which, if your tree is still living, is probably what is keeping it
alive.  It's also likely living on stored resources.  This is how
they recover from some defoliation disaster - something that happens
to trees all the time.  But, if this is the 2nd year it has produced
no leaves, that child is in deep trouble.  Did it ever have leaves?
How old is it?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :