Re: Pagoda dogwood

In a message dated 05/21/2003 12:03:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmrsy@earthlink.net writes:

> Stressed Dogwoods are prone to
> anthracnose, and then it can be all downhill.

Dogwoods (Cornus florida) in this area are not doing well this spring.  I
think it is a result of the severe drought of the past two or three years.  They
have begun to develop anthracnose, and just generally look ratty - leaves are
small and uneven looking.
It's not just mine - the wooded area (Blue Mountain Reservation) near us has
lots of dogwoods and they look sick, too.  This happened about twenty years
ago after a period of serious drought combined with a gypsy moth infestation
that defoliated the trees.  We lost about fifteen dogwoods that time around, but
still have about a dozen left.  One of our oldest and biggest will have to be
removed this year because it has so much dead.  All of these are seedlings, so
are "site specific."  I always let seedlings develop if at all possible.  My
garden isn't "landscaped" by any means, and I like things to look as if the
birds helped the Good Lord plant them - which is really the case with some
things.
Auralie