Re: pruning Hydrangea, mop head

When and what to prune in hydrangeas is almost (but not quite) as
confusing as Clematis.  'Annabelle' is the easiest- she blooms on new
wood and pruning is done in very early spring, just as the buds
swell.  I cut mine to the first set of buds above ground.

I went into a pretty thorough description of when and how to prune
other species, including the mopheads (H. macrophylla) in the 2nd
part of my series of articles on Hydrangeas...it's really too long to
copy here, so let me send you to the article...it's on down the page
in the article:

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :