Re: Hydrangea Article

> From: Tigerliley2@wmconnect.com
> Marge...what a fine article on the pruning of hydrangeas.... Very
> comprehensive and clear...I noted that you "lust" for more plants
.....I was laughing as
> I think they are gorgeous too........many, many , thanks.....I
noticed an
> article on clearing brambles which I am going to have to give my
attention to in
> the near future.......
----------

Thank you for the kind words!  Glad you found that info. useful.  The
article with the brambles is, I think, one about what I found when
clearing woods to make my deer fence....several assorted brambles:-)
Key with any of them is to get that root dug out.  If you don't, they
will simply return and may do from suckers on their main lateral
roots.  But, usually, if you get the crown and as much of the main
root out as poss., that will do them in.  I attack large masses of
multiflora rose by just cutting my way into the main stem - a bit at
a time so I can get in there without getting hooked by those lethal
thorns too much.  I've found out that, wearing heavy gloves; long
sleeves, etc., you can wad the cut branches into a more or less ball
for disposal; they stick to each other.

Just dug up three old clumps of multiflora rose today - much easier
with the ground so soft from all the rain.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade