Re: Help needed!

> While out in the garden today, I noticed my peach tree is in serious
> trouble! I am thinking it is a fungus?!?
>
> http://www.illianagardenpond.org/peachtree1.jpg
> http://www.illianagardenpond.org/peachtree2.jpg

It's tough for me to tell from the photograph.  The real question is
whether or not the pink mass is just a deformed leaf, or if it's a
structure in and of itself.

If it's just a deformed leaf, it's peach leaf curl.  If you don't take
care of it, the tree can become more severely infected to the point of
defoliation, weakening the tree significantly.  Cool wet weather favors
the disease, although some peach cultivars like 'Redhaven' are resistant.

There's more information at

   http://www.agcom.purdue.edu/AgCom/Pubs/BP/BP-54.html

If it's a structure, then it's probably an eriophyid mite gall and
you don't have to worry about it.  The galls/mites are host-specific,
so they won't infect other plants in the area.  They generally don't do
any damage to the tree either, although more galls will appear as the
season progresses.

> Sorry for the cross posting once again... and hopefully Chris is away on
> a holiday weekend or I am going to be in trouble for posting this on the
> perennial list.. but you guys know everything!:)

Boy, and here I was thinking maybe it should go on the *woodyplants* list;
silly me.  :)

Chris