Re: New USDA Zone Map

Does anyone but me think that the new Zone map is a huge waste of money,
time and effort? Throwing out half a century of temperature readings in
favor of less than two decades worth doesn't make sense to me.

I've been gardening for nearly half a century, and have watched climates
change for a half dozen years, then change back. I've spoken to folks that
have gardened for 80 and more years, and they remember the same.

When I look at the new map, which shows me in the same zone as Atlanta,
Athens, Macon and Griffin, Georgia, I laugh, then get angry for all of the
new gardeners who will buy a plant labeled zone 8, and have it freeze. There
is so much variation among these cities as to render the map useless.  And
it's not just a matter of Microclimates, but of Macroclimates. Absurd!

Daryl
 "A garden, where one may enter in and forget the whole world, cannot be
made
in a week, nor a month, nor a year; it must be planned for, waited for and
loved into being."    Chinese Proverb
www.MrsGreenThumb.com