Re: New USDA Zone Map/ pushing the envelope

Hi Cathy,
    I do a bit of envelope pushing myself around here on occasion. I am not
sure how much of the "taking chances" is from weather changes and how much
is simply the labels and information has been wrong about the plants. More
than likely a combination of a bit of both. One of the plants currently
making the rounds in gardens is Rhodea japonica. Only two years ago the only
information I knew was a zone listing of 8, perhaps 7 at best on hardiness.
Friend from Kansas sent me starts in a trade and son of a gun... the plant
does just fine over winter here. Also once I got to looking about I found it
in a planting over in Kentucky at Bernheirm Arboretum... been there for
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana