From: Gene Bush <genebush@otherside.com>
Sent: 05/29/03 06:42 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] New USDA Zone Map/ pushing the envelope

> Hi Cathy,
    I do a bit of envelope pushing myself around here on occasion. I am
not
sure how much of the "taking chances" is from weather changes and how much
is simply the labels and information has been wrong about the plants. More
than likely a combination of a bit of both. One of the plants currently
making the rounds in gardens is Rhodea japonica. Only two years ago the
only
information I knew was a zone listing of 8, perhaps 7 at best on
hardiness.
Friend from Kansas sent me starts in a trade and son of a gun... the plant
does just fine over winter here. Also once I got to looking about I found
it
in a planting over in Kentucky at Bernheirm Arboretum... been there for
years....
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com