Re: Re: New USDA Zone Map

I'm with you on this, Daryl....(and Tony, too).  I think the heat
zone map is about useless.  The hardiness zone map is marginally
useful as a starting point, but not much beyond that.  It does help
people know what might stand a chance of making it in their gardens,
but that's about it because there are so many factors at play in
whether a plant is going to survive or not.

It is a pity that the new map is based on less data and has removed
the a/b designations.  Wonder just what the rationale is behind this?
 Or is there any?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :