new mystery plant/now wild orchid

thanks, ceres. i'm going to follow jim's advice and look it up in a2z [i keep my copy at work] on monday.

some of you may remember that i found a wild orchid growing on an old oak at the nursery a few years ago and, using a gouge, i removed one of bulblets [or whatever they're called] and glued it [gooped it] to another oak tree near the front door to our new headquarters building.

i checked it today, about a year after gooping it, and it has made a home for itself--it is now four bulblets and they are getting much larger. it may bloom, i think, within 2 years.

i got so excited by this development that i went back to the source tree. that orchid is in full bloom--so many tiny flowers, in fact, it looks something like a swarm of bees. and, using the ever-handy gouge, i removed three more babies that i will goop onto my ponytail palm this weekend.

a friend of mine, who spends many hours at this time of year boating up and down the myakka river, says there are now many, many wild orchids blooming and he intends to take a photo excursion this weekend.