Re: Re: New USDA Zone Map

Well, Daryl, if that isn't the largest pile of drivel I've read in an
age, disguised as a rationale for changing what was one of the more
useful aspects of the old map.  PR-speak; governmentease; blather.  I
think you're right, "somebody" does want to see his name in print:-)

Thanks for posting it; I had not been to the AHS site to find it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Daryl <pulis@mindspring.com>
> > It is a pity that the new map is based on less data and has
> > the a/b designations.  Wonder just what the rationale is behind
> >  Or is there any?
> Marge,
> To quote from the AHS website:
> "The "a" and "b" intra-zone divisions used on the 1990 map have
> dropped, so each zone is broader and easier to follow as your eye
> westward and the mountains make climatic gradients more complex.
West of the