Re: Re: rohdea

Kitty, I have snagged several of these at plant exchange.
Interesting, if not hugely exciting plants but superb for dry, very
shaded woodland type situations.  Evergreen for me and came through
last winter with flying colors; not even much leaf damage from 2.5
feet of snow sitting on them.  I got one in bloom last year and note
that a couple of mine are starting flower buds.  The flowers aren't
so much insignificant as hidden down in the foliage...sort of
interesting, but wont stop traffic.  These are the work-horse type of
plants that set off other plant foliage so well by providing a
steady, deep green presence all year around.  Work very nicely with
ferns, for example, because of the high contrast in foliage texture.

I do not know how hardy they are; may not be able to retain good
foliage in very cold climates...need to research that one and have

The variegated forms can be rather exciting - esp. when you see the
price tags - waaaaay out of my league.  I don't get the impression
that they are less hardy, but they would probably grow even slower
than the species - which is not a fast grower.

No experience of deer with them as I got mine after my fence went up,
but considering the very leathery leaves, I'd guess deer would leave
them to last on the menu; deer prefer nice succulent new foliage.
Slugs do not seem to relish them and I've not seen any other type of
insect damage

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
> Rohdea japonica sounds like just the ticket for under a Silver
Maple. I