a weekend of critters

Hi all-spent almost NO time in the garden this weekend, rained and stormed
since Friday which is a good thing as it hasn't rained in weeks.  Fortunately,
I was home and walked outside during a lull. Noticed that the cardinal nest on
the arbor was askew and 2 eggs on the ground. Didn't see the mother bird. Both
eggs were solid, so I put them back in the nest with the one that didn't fall
out and then went inside and got some twist ties.. Uprighted the nest and
bent some more honeysuckle branches underneath it. Tied them off to make the
whole thing more study on its platform. Was praying the mother would return.
About 2 minutes later she did, hopped on the nest and was sitting there when
the storm kicked up again. PHEW!

LAST NIGHT, I was going to grill burgers for a few people. Opened the gas
grill that's been sitting all winter, and found 3 RATS! Those little (medium
size) suckers were building a nest in the grill. Ran them off, and then fire
up the gas. The grill was very old and had a whole in it, and got sent home
with some friends last night. I told them to take it, or it was going to the
dump today. I prefer charcoal anyway. LOL!

Then, after the rat episode, two mallards waddled into the yard. This never
happens so I don't know what that was all about. Very pretty male and female.
They hung out for a bit and then waddled back to the pond across the street,
so, I got a good dose of wildlife this weekend, and it's funny because that
was the class I taught Saturday morning. Gardening for Wildlife.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC