Re: Weekend

When I was about 14-15 years old, my neighbor had a greenhouse and I
spent SO much time over there with her (it started young for me...) and
she gave me a cutting of that cactus. When it bloomed, she called me
over to see it. Talk about YUCK...the whole greenhouse smelled like
stinky ole tennis shoes. She laughed and said the smell was to attract
flies which pollinated the plant...I guess where the plant originated
from, flies were the big pollinators...and we all know where flies like
to land. LOL.

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 05/02/2004 3:54:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jsinger@igc.org writes:

> Exciting news, however, is that our ric-rac cactus [Cryptocereus
> anthonyanus] has a flower bud. Reportedly, flowers on this particular
> epi are rare. As soon as it blooms, and we photograph the flower for
> labels, we'll root a dozen or so cuttings.

Jim, I had one of those for years, and it did bloom from time to time. The
blossom was striking, but the most notable thing about it was the odor. One
time it bloomed, the cat knocked the pot off the table trying to cover it up. I
guess there you can leave it outside - not a pleasant companion in a closed