Re: chicory

Pam, this is a major roadside wildflower in the Northeast. I agree that is
gorgeous, and I think a mass of chicory and Queen Anne's Lace, which it grows
with, is a lovely sight.  Neither of these are natives, but have been here so
long that they might as well be.  This is one of the
native-versus-invasive-alien topics.  Yes, they are invasive aliens, but in my mind most welcome ones.
In part it is a question of native as of when - they've been here longer than
many of those making the rulings.  I did a piece about them for my club's
newsletter a while back.  If I can find it, I'll pass it on.  However, I know it is
supposed to like "waste places" and "disturbed ground."  It is very hardy and
will self-seed easily, so be sure you want it where it's planted.
And then you could make coffee of it's roasted roots.
Auralie