Re: chicory

Well, as someone once said: plants we would happily give a green card to!
Cathy
On Sunday, May 9, 2004, at 07:12 AM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

Pam, this is a major roadside wildflower in the Northeast. I agree that is
gorgeous, and I think a mass of chicory and Queen Anne's Lace, which it grows
with, is a lovely sight. Neither of these are natives, but have been here so
long that they might as well be. This is one of the
native-versus-invasive-alien topics. Yes, they are invasive aliens, but in my mind most welcome ones.
In part it is a question of native as of when - they've been here longer than
many of those making the rulings. I did a piece about them for my club's
newsletter a while back. If I can find it, I'll pass it on. However, I know it is
supposed to like "waste places" and "disturbed ground." It is very hardy and
will self-seed easily, so be sure you want it where it's planted.
And then you could make coffee of it's roasted roots.
Auralie