From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2004 11:25 PM
To: Agardenchat
Subject: [CHAT] mulch

Question - poll, maybe.
What kind of mulch do you use?

I ask, because I spent the entire day at my niece's new house redoing
her mulch.  In front, some lamebrain used black plastic about 15 yrs ago
and then piled on the mulch.  The beautiful birch tree did find ways
around it so that the roots were growing on top of the plastic in the
somewhat decomposed mulch - of course making it harder to extract.  On
top of this was some other mulch, hard to identify, more like
sun-bleached wood scrap.

In the back the previous owners had built a large deck.  When they
landscaped around it they used fabric this time, but the holes they cut
for the plants were barely big enough for the trunks. One hibiscus had
thefabric wrapped loosely 5 inches up the trunk.  Over this they had a
layer of Cypress mulch, thin in some areas, thicker in others.  I fail
to understand why this mulch is so popular.  In the 2 yrs it had
hardened into an impermeable mat such that when I poured water on it, it
just rolled off like a duck's back.  so I cut out more fabric and broke
up all the mulch - should have pitched it, but tried to save her a
little by just topdressing.  I used pinebark all around.

So why is cypress so popular other than that it takes forever to
decompose - another reason I don't like it?  As I understand, it is also
in trouble, being harvested much too quickly.  Many local suppliers
carry no pine products.  Those that do will get in 50 skids of cypress
to one of pine. There's also hardwood mulch, but my experiences with
that include bringing in my first slugs, and also it seems it's
appearance is more variable.

So what kind do you use, if you use mulch?