Bamboo shoots?

My neighbor's bamboo is sendng shoots up throughout my lawn and flower bed,
which does not make me happy.  However, I wondered if these are edible.  Are
all bamboo shoots edible or only certain kinds?  I have no idea what kind of
bamboo this is except that it is invasive.  The shoots pop up about a foot in a
day, and are about half an inch thick.  They are covered with dark grayish
sheaths, but these peel off easily and underneath the stems are tender and
crunchy.  They look as if they might be good in salads or stir-fried.  Do any of you
know if I would be taking a chance if I tried eating them?  It would give me a
sort of perverse satisfaction to get some good out of them.