Re: mulch

I have no problem with organic mulch...I was ranting about landscaping fabric, which is so efficient in retaining moisture, that, in the clay based soil we have here, turns it into a swamp.
Cathy
On Monday, May 10, 2004, at 08:25 PM, Kitty wrote:

Cathy, I like mulch for the benefits of keeping the beds cooler and
retaining moisture. I like the finished look, too. But another very
important reason for mulch is reducing disease. When rain or sprinkler
water hits soil, it bounces up carrying pathogens from the soil onto the
leaves of plants. So I generally don't leave bare ground. In the past I
have used leaf mold as a mulch, I just don't have enough of it.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "cathy carpenter" <cathyc@rnet.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] mulch

Most people around here use landscaping cloth + rocks...ugh! When we
purchased our house, it was just landscaping cloth plus cypress mulch.
First thing I did was get rid of the cloth. The plants had roots on the
surface, just under the cloth, obviously gasping for air, and the soil
was wet, with a putrid smell. Needless to say I hate landscaping cloth
unless I am doing a path. I generally don't use mulch except in those
areas where I am trying to discourage grass. I would welcome advice on
types that would work best.
Cathy