From:  [mailto: Aplfgcnys@aol.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:18:02 EDT
Subject: [CHAT] Bamboo shoots?

My neighbor's bamboo is sendng shoots up throughout my lawn and flower
bed, <br>which does not make me happy. However, I wondered if these are
edible. Are <br>all bamboo shoots edible or only certain kinds? I have
no idea what kind of <br>bamboo this is except that it is invasive. The
shoots pop up about a foot in a <br>day, and are about half an inch
thick. They are covered with dark grayish <br>sheaths, but these peel
off easily and underneath the stems are tender and <br>crunchy. They
look as if they might be good in salads or stir-fried. Do any of you
give me a <br>sort of perverse satisfaction to get some good out of

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com