From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan [mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:47 -0400
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Pella Tulip Festival

Melody, I'm so glad you shared your trip with us! How wonderful! And
I've<br>heard wooden shoes made for one's own feet are comfortable
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf<br>Of Melody<br>Sent:
Sunday, May 09, 2004 11:09 PM<br>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject:
[CHAT] Pella Tulip Festival<br><br>Thought I would share some photos
from the very lovely Pella, Iowa 69th<br>Annual Tulip Festival. This
town of 10,000 citizens plants in excess of<br>200,000 bulbs each year,
not counting those planted by private citizens<br>and businesses, which
brings the total to about double that. The tulips<br>are dug up every
year and new ones are planted in the fall. WOW! What a<br>lot of
work...but so beautiful, I can't hardly tell you! The large<br>windmill
in the pictures is the tallest windmill in the US and is a<br>genuine,
working mill that grinds corn and sells the flour. They give<br>tours of
the entire windmill and the sight from 5 stories up on the<br>outside
deck with the blades turning was something! We bought some of<br>the
windmill bread made from this flour. The windmill was designed
and<br>it's building supervised by a Dutch windmill architect and the
upper<br>working half was built in Holland and then disassembled and
brought back<br>to Pella for an 18 month rebuilding. The calliope in the
pics. was built<br>in Belgium in the 1850's and still works and sounds
great! Got to see<br>how they make wooden shoes...almost bought a pair!
Pella is also home to<br>Wyatt Earps' boyhood home and we toured that as
well. The many tulip<br>gardens are really something to see...wish you
all could have been<br>there. Spent the entire day there and still feel
like we didn't see<br>everything. Guess we'll have to go back next

IA (Z 5/4)<br><br>"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
mysterious." <br>--A

Excite! - http://www.excite.com<br>The most personalized portal on the
hort.net -- join the hort.net fund

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com