Re: Bamboo shoots?

Would not make me happy either, Auralie.  Once that stuff gets going
it is hard to stop.  You can keep mowing it where it hits lawn, but
if it's getting into your flower bed, it's going to need digging out
because it has really thick, fibrous roots that fill the bed.

In the meanwhile, keep breaking off the shoots as soon as you see
them.  I suppose you could brush a bit of herbicide on the cut stems,
but I've not tried it as I don't want to kill my stand; just control

have to taste those to find out if they are good - you have to boil
them first.  There's a very short window of time to pick them.

Here are a couple of  links about bamboo shoots:

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
> My neighbor's bamboo is sendng shoots up throughout my lawn and
flower bed,
> which does not make me happy.  However, I wondered if these are
edible.  Are
> all bamboo shoots edible or only certain kinds?  I have no idea
what kind of
> bamboo this is except that it is invasive.  The shoots pop up about
a foot in a
> day, and are about half an inch thick.  They are covered with dark
> sheaths, but these peel off easily and underneath the stems are
tender and
> crunchy.  They look as if they might be good in salads or
stir-fried.  Do any of you