Re: mulch/tree

> Megan doesn't know what she wants other than a shade tree.  The only other
> details are Zone 5 and somewhat poor drainage.  However, the tree will sit
> at the corner of the yard above the graded drainage slope, so I don't think
> that will be so much of a problem.  She won't be planting beneath it, just
> some shade for a flat boring backyard.

Hi Kitty,

   How tall are you looking at?  Can it be a short tree?  What about

      redbud (Cercis canadensis)
      Carolina silverbell (Halesia carolina) -- or even a pink cultivar
      witchhazel (Hamamelis vernalis 'Christmas Cheer' blooms around Christmas)
      hemlock (Tsuga canadensis 'Golden Splendor would be nice in a shady
         nook)
      Parrotia persica
      baldcypress (Taxodium distichum)
      hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana)

   That's all I can come up with offhand...  But I think these are all at

      http://www.hort.net/gallery/
      http://wp.nres.uiuc.edu/

   if you want pics.

Chris