From:  [mailto: Aplfgcnys@aol.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:29:45 EDT
Subject: Re: [CHAT] weather

In a message dated 05/13/2004 6:25:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
(for my garden)color of columbine growing<br>> behind some other
plants...a beautiful lavender color. All my others are<br>>
peachy-orange colored. A kindly bird must have seeded it there...I'm
so<br>> happy...I just love this plant. I bought a deeper purple one
last week<br>> and it is doing well. Now if I could just find a pink one
while and you'll probably have a pink one too. <br>The new lavender one
is probably a hybrid or a throw-back. Many years ago I <br>had a lovely
double upfacing columbine from Parks called Fairy something. <br>They
haven't offered it for years and I've never seen it anywhere else. I
still <br>have a couple of plants of it, but it has hybridized with the
native A. <br>canadensis and I have dozens of different colors and sizes
and shapes. E!

ach year I <br>let them bloom and the ones I don't like - muddy colors,
too tall, or <br>whatever, I pull out before they go to seed. I know
it's not a very neat way to <br>garden, but I love seeing what comes. It
seems to me that the ultimate color most <br>columbines revert to is a
rather dull dark blue. Did you know that the <br>long-spurred columbines
all have North American native genes? The European <br>columbines have
short, hooked spurs. Most that are offered commercially are hybrids
stunning yellow <br>long-spurred native.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com