New oleander

Ms. Fatma has been telling me for a week or more now about an oleander that is planted in the medians of a new community development. The flowers are large and blood red.

We are growing some white oleanders standards for a pre-easter garage sale next year. When Ms. Fatma saw the blood red oleanders, she decided she wanted to add them to the standard selection.

So while I was hunting down the Buddha's hand earlier today, she was ferreting out the blood red oleander. And with success. She found a very nice 3-gallon shrub that will produce at least a dozen tip cuttings.

She also pointed out to me that Home Depot has a gaggle of Turk's cap standards in 7-gallon size for sale at $50.00 each. So now she wants to add those to the mix.

So we will likely have a lot of standards for sale next spring--even though I'm with Kitty. I don't like them very much, not even tree roses. Too phony looking but less so than topiaries.

Island Jim Southwest Florida Zone 10 27.0 N, 82.4 W