plant sale

Just got back from the Lasdon Park & Arboretum plant sale where we both
worked as cashiers.  It is always a good sale with a wide selection of really
choice perennials, shrubs and trees, but in past years the weather has been awful,
rainy, cold, or both, and attendance has been disappointing.  Today was
brilliant and hot (I think I'd really prefer cold) and the crowds turned out.

 Since I already have too many plants lined up waiting to be planted, I tried
to control myself, and came away with only about a dozen plants.  Most of
what I bought was fairly conventional - nice varieties of things I already have,
like a pink Stokesia to go with my blue and white ones.  What I did invest
heavily in is a dwarf variegated sedge, Carex pennsylvanica 'Snowline.'  Do  any
of you have experience with this plant?

I have an area at the bottom of the so-called lawn adjacent to the small pond
that is difficult.  The soil is very heavy clay despite years of amendments -
that is, what soil there is between several subterranean boulders.  It is
almost boggy in the spring since it is barely above the level of the pond, but in
the summer dries out to cement-like hardness.  I have lost quite a few things
that I have planted there - in fact about the only thing that has really
thrived (thriven?) is Oenethera (sp.? evening primrose) and several clumps of
Miscanthus.  This spring one of the Miscanthus clumps seems dead in the middle,
but I'm told that this is not too serious - I must just dig it up and divide it.
 Of course it will probably take a back-hoe to dig it, but that's another

What I had been thinking was that I would develop the area with a variety of
grasses, and I have added several others that seem to be doing all right.
Deer don't bother Miscanthus and don't do much damage to the others - or haven't
so far.  So when I saw this sedge, I thought it might make a low  element for
the front of the grass garden.  The pond is edged with sedges which grew there
naturally - I don't know what kind they are but I think they are really
lovely, making clumps abut two feet high by three feet across of very fine, arching
foliage that stays pretty even when it turns brown in the winter.  I don't
know if this sedge will work, but it's worth a try.

Now it's too hot - 88 degrees - to go out and plant the new stuff - hope
tomorrow is cooler and we get the rain that was predicted for today.