Re: Laundry list

The hibiscus is really too old and too butchered over the years to be saved. What we want to do after we yank it, is install an eave-to-ground lattice and grow a couple of stephanotis on it. The lattice itself will keep out most of the sun, but once the stephanotis cover it, it will pretty much block the sun.

On Sunday, May 16, 2004, at 04:11 PM, Bonnie & Bill Morgan wrote:

Being toasty warm and being toasted are two totally different things. By
all means, find something that will do some sun filtration. What will you
do with the hibiscus? Can it be rehabilitated or "youthened?"

Outside of leaving pine cones on some of the pines, we can't get by that
easy for a Christmas tree. We did use a bald cypress one year to decorate,
but I wouldn't recommend it every year.

Bonnie SW OH - zone 5

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 4:01 PM
To: Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Laundry list

We got most things done before the rain started today.

The only hold-overs of any consequence are two golden barrel cactuses
that need to have their pot size jumped [something I find easy to put
off] and a 15-gallon kumquat that needs a permanent home in the ground.

The kumquat has been our Christmas tree for the last 3 years [it's
loaded with bright orange fruit at that time of year, so it
self-decorating], but it's beginning to outgrow its pot and I'm getting
too old to wrestle a 30-gallon pot in and out of the house.

I'm sure that by next weekend, the list will be longer. We still have
to rip out an aging hibiscus and then find something else to block the
evening sun from the sunroom.

I know, I know--if it's a sunroom, why block the sun? Because summer is
coming and if we don't block the sun, it will be a life-size toaster
over.

Island Jim Southwest Florida Zone 10 27.0 N, 82.4 W

http://www.hort.net/funds/

http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida