From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 10:32 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Plant disaster

In early April I ordered many miniature roses from Nor'East for a
Horticulture School I will be running next week. We are having a speaker on
the topic and
wanted to have plants to demonstrate and judge.  I was disturbed to find
they are no longer in the north east but in California.  Then I was told
they couldn't ship until the middle of May, but they assured me that they
would be here in time for the school.  Well, they arrived at the post office
Friday, but the post office doesn't deliver packages up my road so they left
notice that we could pick up the package the next day.  The next day, being
Saturday, we were both tied up with the Lasdon plant sale and unable to get
the post office, which by the way is not at all near us.  There are three
nearer, but for packages we have to go in to Peekskill and struggle with
traffic and parking.  When I got the package this morning and opened it I
just sick.  All the leaves have fallen off the plants.  It was  hot over the

weekend and I guess they just cooked.  Only three of the 18 plants look any
like they might make it.  I'm sure I can nurse some of the others back in
course, but not by next week.  And what will I do with all these roses - I
had expected my club members to buy most of them, but I can't ask them to
for these bare sticks.
If they had used UPS or FedEx there would have been no problem - just the
!@#) post office.  Since there is a three hour time difference, I will wait
11:00 to call them, but I really intend to protest strongly.
Thanks for letting me vent.