From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Melody
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 1:44 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] New oleander now more education

Ceres: I absolutely agree with you that big is not always better when it
comes to school size. My kids go to one of the smaller schools in town,
only about 300 students and we love it there. It's more like a tight
knit community this way and the kids and staff spend a great deal of
time working 1:1 with each other on a variety of projects including team
building, mentoring, conflict resolution, volunteerism. The 4-6th
graders all are part of a reading buddies project with the K-3 graders.
Selected 4-6th graders are part of a Peer Assistance Team, designed to
build conflict resolution skills. The school's theme for the years is
the 3 B's: Be respectful, Be helpful, Be a good listener. Of course, no
elementary school in our district is over 400 or so students and every
Thursday classes dismiss an hour early (1:45) so that all teachers and
staff in the district can attend mandatory inservices that help to
achieve these types of schools. For a community with less than 80,000
total population, we have 17 elementary schools and we're building
another one, plus another Jr. High, a new alternative High School, and
adding on to our two existing high schools, all in an effort to keep
school sizes down. Obviously, smaller is perceived in the education
world as better, at least here.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein