Re: Problem area

Well, Chris, just found this oldy languishing in my overflowing

Sounds to me like a post and beam semi-pergola type thing would be
what you need...you could hang pots from the beam and get vines to
grow up the posts and then across the beam.  What sun there is would
reach all of those.   I have this sort of thing - was meant to have
lattice panels between the beams but after about 14 years, have not
gotten those in yet.

Ours consists of 6x6" cedar posts with 2x6 cedar boards bolted to
each side of the posts forming the "beam".  Posts are set in

Whatever you do, if you want to grow vines on it, make sure it's
sturdy...vines can weigh a lot when in full leaf, esp. as they get

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Chris <chris@widom-assoc.com>
> To: gardenchat@hort.net
> Subject: RE: [CHAT] Problem area
> Date: Saturday, January 31, 2004 11:43 AM
> Marge,
> Thanks for your reply.
> The soil in that area is mostly sand.  I would have to bring in
> compost and maybe even topsoil.  Some morning sun reaches that
area, but
> I'm thinking that if I put up a fence, the sun will only reach the
> of the fence. There's no watering system over there, but I can get
to it
> with a hose.  I doubt that I'd be too ambitious about dragging a
hose to
> that spot more than to get some plants established.  I just got
> hunter green hanging baskets with water reservoirs through a mail
> source.  They turned out to be larger than I imagined.  I'm
> about using a few of them there, but I'd have to attach them to
> something,  Maybe I could use an open screening with the pots
> from it.  Vines could grow on it as well. If I planted the vines on
> neighbors side of the screen (where the sun would be) , I could
> any bloom on the top.  I could probably get some of the more shade
> tolerant clematis to grow there.
> We are zone 7, but not the same kind of 7 as you see in points
> south.  I am in a "warm pocket' of Long Island as Auralie
commented.  I