Re: Re: /schools

David: You are so right...private education is a problem. But I believe
you've identified an even bigger problem...parental apathy. Look around
at the students you know who have successful outcomes to their academic
careers...how involved are their parents in their lives? How many of
those parents make a point of routinely going into the school building
and making it their business to seek out each one of their kids'
teachers and find out what is going on? Not waiting for conference time
to find out, but on a weekly or even daily basis touching base with the
people who take care of their kids 7 or 8 hours a day? And no matter
what the cost to their own personal schedules, no matter how difficult
or tough it is to rearrange things to make sure they are 100% available
to their kids and their kids' teachers...that's the difference between a
child who will succeed in school and one who will fail. Bottom
line...much as I would love to be able to trust that the government or
the school district is looking out for my kids...no one will look out
for their academic, social, emotional life better or more competently
than I will so it's my duty to my kids to make sure I am there, every
day, no matter what. Period. And if the teachers or the school find that
intrusive (which they don't BTW) then that's just too darn bad...

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein