From: Andrea H [mailto: hodgesaa@earthlink.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:32:10 -0400
Subject: [CHAT] WAY OT/political

My question is, who do you choose as the lesser of the evils? I echo
David<br>in that I know this is a garden chat group, but after listening
to all of<br>you for several years, and finding so many different
opinions very eye<br>opening, I don't know which way to go anymore. I
was raised by a right-wing<br>liberal hating father (who I dearly love,
just don't agree with) who<br>seriously believes that liberals are the
reason that the US is riddled with<br>crime, too many homeless, too many
mentally ill on the streets, etc. He<br>blames it all on the liberals. I
find that hard to believe. I haven't made<br>up my mind exactly WHAT I
agree on yet, but at least I know that thinking<br>for myself is the
most important thing, and not feeling like I have to<br>follow the
"collective thinking" of one group (or person in a group) or<br>another.
I can agree with certain things from both sides. Now, again,
I'm<br>certainly not impressed with Bush. The man is not a very bright
fellow in<br>most things. BUT, I'm not impressed with Kerry either. But
as an American, I<br>simply cannot not vote. Just curious on your
opinions. I'm not asking or<br>anyone to make a decision for me
Message ----- <br>From: "David Franzman" <dfranzma@pacbell.net><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 7:55 PM<br>Subject:
it's more than that. First I should point out<br>> that my kids took
three weeks out of their year to take tests proving that<br>> they have
learned what they are supposed to have learned. That's a<br>>
significant amount of time to take out of their year. If their
school<br>> doesn't improve the state may take over the
school.<br>><br>> Second, in our hurry to incorporate all children my
kids are mixed with<br>> other kids whose first language isn't English.
How is any teacher<br>supposed<br>> to teach when half the class can
barely understand what the teacher is<br

>> saying? How is any bright student supposed to stay awake and
feel<br>> challenged when they are waiting for many others to catch up?
The Salad<br>> Bowl theory ain't working folks. Throw those who aren't
competent in<br>> English into seperate classes until they are
competent. Sorry, I realize<br>> this is closer to Seperate but Equal
than it is to Brown versus the Board<br>of<br>> Education but otherwise
we are simply asking for mediocracy. Unless we<br>all<br>> speak the
same language there can be no equality in learning.<br>><br>> Third and
just as important President Bush is an idiot and Nader has gone<br>>
completely looney. On the other hand Kerry isn't exactly lighting up
Kerry and Bush are in a dead tie<br>> with Nader taking 5%. Now I ask
you who do you suppose that 5% would go<br>to<br>> if Nader wasn't in
the race? People in Oregon are blowing me away.<br>><br>> David
Franzman<br>> A Touch of the Tropics<br>>
www.atouchofthetropics.net<br>> ----- Original Message ----- <br>> From:
"james singer" <jsinger@igc.org><br>> To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 1:53 PM<br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT] New
Child..etc. is a political answer to a<br>> > fiscal problem, and it
appears to be just as slap-dash as everything<br>> > else this
administration has dreamed up. What the schools need is more<br>> >
money so they can reduce class sizes. That will allow the teachers
2004, at 05:03 AM, Melody wrote:<br>> ><br>> > > DF: This is the result
of a poorly thought out and woefully<br>underfunded<br>> > > "No Child
Left Behind Act", brought to you courtesy of our current<br>> > >
government officials. In order to continue qualifying for federal<br>> >
> financial aid for school districts, each school must meet grade
level<br>> > > requirements, you know. Well, if a certain percentage of

th
e children<br>> > > can't make it and that prevents the school from
getting funding, then<br>> > > what is the logical step? To reduce the
level of difficulty of what is<br>> > > being taught to the lowest
common denominator, i.e. dumbing down. In<br>> > > it's purest form,
NCLB would be a godsend to the children of<br>> > > America...teaching
them to reach for the highest standards. In it's<br>> > > current
bastardized version, it's a nightmare! Political action,<br>> > >
though...the strength of character to stand up for what you believe<br>>
> > in...is the only thing that will change this unfortunate course
of<br>> > > action our elected officials have embarked upon. Write or
call your<br>> > > local federal and state legislators and demand that
they fully fund<br>the<br>> > > NCLB act. Okay...off the soapbox
5/4)<br>> > ><br>> > > "The most beautiful thing we can experience is
05/17, David Franzman < dfranzma@pacbell.net > wrote:<br>> > > From:
David Franzman [mailto: dfranzma@pacbell.net]<br>> > > To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>> > > Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:41:32 -0700<br>>
> > Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] New oleander/schools<br>> > ><br>> > > No,
no, no Pam! It's "Can I supersize that for you!" Man, could I tell<br>>
> > you<br>stories about my kids school. They watch more movies than
the<br>> > > attendants at<br>the Sundance Movie Festival. What's worse
is that not<br>> > > only are most of the<br>movies out of context with
the class but many<br>> > > of<br>> > > them
are...ugh...cartoons.<br>Now are we talking about an elementary<br>> > >
school? Nope! High school. The<br>coup d' grace was when my
daughter<br>> > > came home from school and she told me<br>that they
watched, in Spanish<br>> > > class, a Flintstones cartoon
movie...IN<br>ENGLISH! Oh, it did have<br>> > > Spanish subtitles. The
schools are dumbing down<br>our kids and I find<br>> > > it
repugnant.<br><

br>David Franzman<br>A Touch of the<br>> > >
Tropics<br>www.atouchofthetropics.net<br>----- Original Message
-----<br>> > > <br>From: <gardenqueen@academicplanet.com><br>To:<br>> >
> <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004
local public schools produce here - you want<br>fries w/ that?<br>> > >
the Montessori<br>> > > environment is perfect to<br>> > bring out their
have responsibilities in the<br>> > > education of younger
development that simply does not occur in other<br>> > settings. And
I<br>> > > think that is why a high percentage of Montessori<br>> >
Monday, May 17, 2004,<br>at<br>> > > 09:04 AM, Zemuly@aol.com
> Ms. Fatma teaches the primary grades in a Montessori<br>> > >
school.<br>> > > I volunteer with that same age group at our local<br>>
drive!<br>> > ><br>> > >

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>>

--
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>> ><br>> > >
http://www.excite.com<br>> > > The most personalized portal on the
Web!<br>> > ><br>> > >
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>><br>>

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>