Re: Plant disaster/ups versus usps

Marge, interesting!  I ship with the pot which is 8" and the plants average
20" tall.  I believe that I have found a good way to ship them without
damage assuming I don't use Fed Ex.  More about that in a minute.  I do
charge for materials as boxes are unbelievably expensive however, being a
one man band I don't charge for my time though I suppose you can make a case
for doing so.  I do send an email asking whether the plant arrived in good
shape or not and I'm on a pretty good streak with my new method.  With this
size plant the cost of 2nd or 3rd day is astronomical.

FedEx ground is what used to be RPL and it is truly awful.  I began with
FedEx ground and some of the boxes showed up absolutely crushed with the 8"
pot itself broken.  That took some talent.  The final straw was when I
received a phone call at 4am one morning telling me they had found my
package in Idaho when it was supposed to be in Colorado.  Since then I have
shipped UPS and I have only had one problem with them since.

Marge, I get shipped plants from all around the country in pots and really
have had few problems.  The key as I've finally found out is to make sure
there isn't any wiggle room in the box at all.  If you can keep the plant
from moving and Igor doesn't sit on it it should arrive in good condition.
I also ship the plant laying down and pack it that way.

David Franzman
A Touch of the Tropics
www.atouchofthetropics.net