From: David Franzman [mailto: dfranzma@pacbell.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:23:59 -0700
Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] /schools and Alex

Ok Melody, last story for you: As most of you know my sister passed
away<br>last summer. Well I don't think I told you that my wife and I
adopted her<br>adopted son. He was the product of a drug mother and he
has learning<br>problems but a good kid in general. Anyway, at his last
school he had been<br>having problems. So, when he moved in with us we
met with all the<br>responsible people at the school and it was agreed
on that we would receive<br>weekly progress reports. Well we were
progressing along fine with comments<br>like "good" and "fine" or
"fair"! So, imagine our surprise when the real<br>progress reports came
out and he had two "F's"! Ho, boy was I p.......! A<br>hurricane ain't
in it. He apparently was doing the work at home but<br>forgetting to
turn it in and other such nonsense. In any case we got
that<br>straightened out in a hurry with the teachers. Now, I'm proud to
say that<br>the boy is getting all B's and C's and more importantly he's
liking himself<br>more because of it...and frankly that's a big part of
Tropics<br>www.atouchofthetropics.net<br>----- Original Message -----
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 10:03
right...private education is a problem. But I believe<br>> you've
identified an even bigger problem...parental apathy. Look around<br>> at
the students you know who have successful outcomes to their
academic<br>> careers...how involved are their parents in their lives?
How many of<br>> those parents make a point of routinely going into the
school building<br>> and making it their business to seek out each one
of their kids'<br>> teachers and find out what is going on? Not waiting
for conference time<br>> to find out, but on a weekly or even daily
basis touching base with the<br>> people who take care of their kids 7
or 8 hours a day? And no matter<br>> what the cost t

o their own personal schedules, no matter how difficult<br>> or tough it
is to rearrange things to make sure they are 100% available<br>> to
their kids and their kids' teachers...that's the difference between
a<br>> child who will succeed in school and one who will fail.
Bottom<br>> line...much as I would love to be able to trust that the
government or<br>> the school district is looking out for my kids...no
one will look out<br>> for their academic, social, emotional life better
or more competently<br>> than I will so it's my duty to my kids to make
sure I am there, every<br>> day, no matter what. Period. And if the
teachers or the school find that<br>> intrusive (which they don't BTW)
5/4)<br>><br>> "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
Franzman < dfranzma@pacbell.net > wrote:<br>> From: David Franzman
[mailto: dfranzma@pacbell.net]<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 17:11:07 -0700<br>> Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT]
/schools<br>><br>> Melody (I'm sorry folks I realize this is a garden
group and not a<br>> soapbox<br>for political agendas) I think the
problem is in the reality.<br>> The reality<br>is that there are far too
many students in California who<br>> don't care and<br>whose parents
don't care whether they get an education<br>> or not. Fact is
that<br>there is only so much money and resources and<br>> the way we
casually spend<br>money in this country insures a bleak<br>> future for
are the bane of this<br>country. They guarantee unequal<br>> education.
Send Bill Gate's and Warren<br>Buffet's kids to public<br>> schools and
we wouldn't be having this discussion<br>right now. But as<br>> long as
we don't we lose untold thousands of bright kids<br>who don't<br>> have
the resources to a good education and hence fall through<br>>

Message -----<br>> <br>From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com><br>To:<br>>
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 2:03
This is the result<br>> of a poorly thought out and woefully
underfunded<br>> "No Child Left<br>> Behind Act", brought to you
courtesy of our current<br>> government<br>> officials. In order to
continue qualifying for federal<br>> financial<br>> aid for school
districts, each school must meet grade level<br>><br>> requirements, you
know. Well, if a certain percentage of the<br>> children<br>> can't make
it and that prevents the school from getting<br>> funding, then<br>>
what is the logical step? To reduce the level of<br>> difficulty of what
is<br>> being taught to the lowest common<br>> denominator, i.e. dumbing
down. In<br>> it's purest form, NCLB would be<br>> a godsend to the
children of<br>> America...teaching them to reach for<br>> the highest
standards. In it's<br>> current bastardized version, it's a<br>>
nightmare! Political action,<br>> though...the strength of character
to<br>> stand up for what you believe<br>> in...is the only thing that
elected officials have embarked<br>> upon. Write or call your<br>> local
federal and state legislators and<br>> demand that they fully fund
the<br>> NCLB act. Okay...off the soapbox<br>> now...sorry,
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>><br>> --Albert
Einstein<br>><br>> --- On Mon 05/17, David Franzman <<br>>
dfranzma@pacbell.net > wrote:<br>> From: David Franzman [mailto:<br>>
dfranzma@pacbell.net]<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date: Mon,
oleander/schools<br>><br>> No, no, no Pam! It's "Can I supersize

bout my kids school.<br>> They watch more movies than the<br>>
attendants at<br>the Sundance Movie<br>> Festival. What's worse is that
talking about an elementary<br>><br>> school? Nope! High school.
Spanish subtitles. The<br>> schools are dumbing down<br>our kids and I
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 7:35<br>>
PM<br>Subject:<br>> Re: Re: [CHAT] New
Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal
on the Web!<br>><br>>