Re: Artemesia "Oriental Limelight"

Hmmm. I've been following this subject with interest. I have
mugwort...and it does not have a big problem with spreading. It gets
big, and I trim it, and I divide it periodically but nothing like what
you all are describing. I grew it in Texas and I grow it up here. And
you say the Oriental Limelight spreads like mugwort? Hmmmm.

Marge Talt <mtalt@hort.net> wrote:
Melody, like others, I'd suggest you keep it confined in a pot. It
travels underground via a white root, any tiny piece of which can
sprout - just like the plain old green one who goes by the name of
mugwort and is a most pernicious weed, tho' not unattractive.

Consensus appears to be that the variegated one does spread tho' from
what people have said and what I've noted with mine, it doesn't seem
quite as aggressive as the species...but, I've only had mine in place
for a couple three years now, and mine is in 3/4" bluestone driveway
gravel over clay with about 2" of humus on top of the gravel ...not
exactly prime root spreading conditions.

I think if you give it a *really* inhospitable site - in sun or part
sun - like dry, stony clay soil, it might not wander too much, but
you never know.

You could sink a large nursery pot into the soil - put screenwire
over the holes in the bottom so it can't sneak out of those - and
plant it in the pot...and then watch it;-)

It could also be, as Donna noted, that you'd have less problem with
it spreading where you are than those of us south of you...but, given
my war with the species, I would be loathe to bank on that without

It's a very pretty plant and if kept in place, well worth growing

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor: Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :