Re: Way OT - Fedex Ground

Hi...
   I want to clarify a few stereotypes and misconceptions. I worked for a
trucking company for years before I moved here to NYC. Some of the drivers I
worked with are still dear friends. It's simply not true that truck drivers
are idiots. Yes, there is a oral version of the written CDL license exam for
those who English is a second language.  If you can not read at all you will
not be allowed to take the exam. And no trucking company will hire someone who
can not speak and understand English. And even those who chose the oral exam
over the written one still have to pass the field exam and it is not easy.
Once you pass and get your CDL any company you apply to will do a complete
criminal background check, drug testing, and a complete physical and
psychological exam. Once hired you're subjected to random drug tests all year
long and must get a physical once a year as mandated by the DOT, and your
safety record is highly scrutinized. Even one preventable accident on your
part will get you in trouble.
  Yes, there are some bad apples in every bushel. We had a few in our company
and they didn't last long. But the majority ogf truckers are hard working,
safety concious men and women who strive to do the best job they can. Driving
a tractor trailer is not easy...these guys do it in all kinds of weather. They
also often load and unload their own trucks, and also are expected to provide
customer service...even to the customer from hell.
  I worked with 8 drivers, ranging in age from 28 to 52. All were highly
intelligent, hard working men. Believe me, there is absolutely no way you will
get a CDL, let a alone a job with a trucking company if you can't read. At the
company I worked at we had several applicants who could not read and none were
ever considered for  employment.
  Okay, lecture over. I just can't stand to see truck drivers bashed and
lumped together because of a few bad apples. :(
The guys I worked with were the best. The stereotype that all truck drivers
are dumb, slovenly bums is just not true.

Sue