Re: Way OT - Fedex Ground

>  The stereotype that all truck drivers
> are dumb, slovenly bums is just not true.

????  I'm not aware of this stereotype. I don't know anyone who thinks this
When I said the Canadian UPS driver couldn't find my sister's house, it was
my assumption he wasn't the regular driver of that route and was confused by
an awkward turn in the road.  I didn't imply that he was stupid or unkempt;
just that he didn't make any extra effort to find 7th street.

I've dealt with my fair share of truck drivers and delivery persons and
there was one unkempt young man that wouldn't wash his hair and had trouble
signing for a load because he needed one hand to keep his pants from falling
off  while he kept dabbing his snuffly nose with the other (son of the
delivery service owner) but other than that, why would anyone think a truck
driver is a "slovenly bum"?  I don't recall any of these posts referring to
any driver's attire or hygiene.

And as for those posts mentioning drivers being unable to read, most were
using that phrase loosely, as in not being observant of signs or not using a
map, laziness on the part of a particular driver in a particular story.  The
one that referred to oral exams for those who can't read the test, may not
have been aware that oral tests are available in many situations outside of
driving, such as ADD.  Oral tests are commonplace today.  This reminds me of
a recent Doonesbury in which BD is lying in his hospital bed after having
his leg blown off in Iraq.  Guy in the next bed, making conversation, asks,
"Did you lose any limbs?"  BD:  "I lost my leg.  #%! What's amatter, can't
you see?!"  Reply, "No, I'm blind."  BD grimaces, while someone in another
bed says, "You'll learn."

I think when posters were making unkind remarks about truck drivers, they
were referring to specific instances, not making stereotypical remarks.