Re: Plant disaster/ups versus usps

In a message dated 05/21/2004 1:35:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> I think it must be a problem with your Peekskill office since I was
> also under the impression that priority mail had to be delivered to
> the door - part of the service you pay extra for when you buy
> priority...is there no higher regional office you can complain to?

Marge, I have complained loud and long, and the general service just got
worse.  Peekskill is notorious for bad service.  I once tried to insure an index I
was sending to a publisher, and they wanted to know what was in it.  When I
told them, they refused to insure it - said if it was lost there was no way to
replace it. I protested strongly that I always insured my work, but they
wouldn't move. Wouldn't you know, when the package arrived at the publisher's, it
had been broken into and was empty.  Fortunately I always kept carbons - this
was before computer days - and I had been early enough that I still met the
deadline.  Since that time I have used FedEx, or if something must be sent by
mail Express or Priority mail I drive to another town.
This goes back to the first year we lived here - 1970.  At Christmas we were
solicited for cash gifts to the postmen - which is strictly illegal.  We
didn't pay up, and have never had another package delivered - but we're not the
only victims - hear it all around.