Re: /schools

Here's an idea for those who think they might want to go back to school
when retired  from a financial newsletter I receive.

The idea of lifelong learning is an appealing one to many people. And
lifelong certainly would include retirement years. So for a lot of us,
making an education-saving account part of our retirement plan would
make perfect sense.

It seems an odd idea on the surface: College-saving 529 plans are most
often pitched at parents as a way to set aside money that grows tax-free
and is used to pay tuition for children. But there's nothing in the
rules governing these plans that prevents you from donating money to
yourself for later educational use.

Most of your retirement planning is focused on providing a big enough
nest egg to meet your anticipated income requirements. Pensions, IRAs,
401(k)s and Social Security all go into the calculation.

But if you think about all of the activities you might want to
undertake in retirement that could be done as part of continuing
education, you can see why a 529 plan ought to be included in that mix:
Many college and extension courses include exotic travel, fine dining
and cooking, adventure outings and other interesting excursions as part
of the curriculum.

The only real trick is that the courses you take must come through an
accredited institution in order to meet the rules for tax-free 529
expenditures. But that can be a lot easier than you might think.

This twist on the traditional use of 529s was first posed by our Tax
Watch columnist Eva Rosenberg several years ago. It hasn't caught on --
yet. But remember, the 401(k) was once just an obscure section of
corporate tax law -- until someone came along who saw its greater
potential.

Steve Kerch, personal finance editor

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN