Re: Way OT - Fedex Ground

The coach part probably accounts for $30,000 of that.

On Friday, May 21, 2004, at 10:55 AM, Kitty wrote:

Re > I will probably get blasted for this but...
Why? I think most of us here are with you on this Bonnie. A teacher's day
is a LOT longer than 9 to 3, 9 months of the year. Your state needs to
develop a system of spreading the distribution of tax income more evenly, as
the current system promotes a vicious circle of lack of education. I'm not
up on current salaries, but a friend of mine who teaches biology in a local
public school and is also a guidance counselor and coach makes over $40,000.
I think that's reasonable for all that he does.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bonnie Holmes" <holmesbm@usit.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 9:43 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Way OT - Fedex Ground

Also, agree. Our new governor and the push of litigation is trying to
correct some of the education defects. One major problem is that we rely
on property and sales tax for revenue. Those rural counties with few
businesses don't generate enough revenue to support schools. There are
many situations where textbooks are significantly out of date and/or
insufficient to provide one to each student and many teachers who teach
with temporary certificates. For example, only one-third of math teachers
are certified in math. What math major would elect to teach for 18,000
24,000 when he/she could double that in the business world.

I will probably get blasted for this but I believe that until we are
willing to pay teachers and principals somewhat close to what they could
make in equivalent jobs outside of education, we won't attract the talent
we need to "fix" the schools. And, don't say that they only work a short
day and have the entire summer off. Good teachers help with after school
programs, spend much of their own time and money preparing for lessons
after official school hours, and take additional courses at their own
expense. Besides, the school year is getting longer and longer.
Teachers
report the beginning of August. It amazes me how much difference there
is
in resources, compensation and time for training preparation and delivery
in the corporate world as compared to "schools".

Ok, I will get off my soap box.

P.S. We have a citizens group who is working hard to try to convince the
county commission that building codes are a good and necessary thing.

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN