Re: An impromptu swap....A very nice surprise

In a message dated 05/23/2004 2:55:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> Pam, see if you can get your hands on one named 'Brookside'. Think it
> was developed (bred?) or introduced by Brookside Gardens - not far
> from me in MD.  Anyway...this is its 2nd year and it is holding and
> blooming its head off - unlike 'Johnson's Blue' who was always anemic
> and disappeared as fast as it could, no matter where I put it.
> Brookside has blue flowers, very similar in my memory to 'Johnson's
> Blue'...

I have had 'Brookside' for several years and it is my favorite of at least
six different geraniums.  It grows very nicely in a difficult spot where the
soil isn't too great and it only gets a few hours of sun.  Really a nice plant.
I think mine came from Plant Delight.  I know my climate is the opposite of
Pam's, but if Marge recommends it, it will surely grow there.
 I have built a collection of hardy geraniums because they seem to do well
for me in the conditions I can offer, but this spring I have been telling myself
that it's a pity we don't appreciate the wild one more.  It's surely no
secret by now that I'm a sloppy gardener and let things grow pretty much where they
want to.  The wild geranium, G. maculatum, has planted itself in all sorts of
nooks and crannies of rocks and wood edges, and I think it is just as pretty
as some of the cultivated ones.