Re: new pictures NOW daylilies

In a message dated 05/23/2004 10:48:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

> The Tawny Daylily, Hemerocallis fulva, is a staple hereabouts and is
> especially good for planting on the angle of a ditch to prevent erosion.
> However, I've often seen plantings made by people who may have heard them
> called ditch lilies, and they plant them at the bottom of the ditch.
> Doesn't hurt them - nothing will - but, well, sort of unclear on the
> concept.

Nothing hurts them except deer!  I used to have a lovely bank of them, but
the deer have eaten them down so consistently for years that there are hardly
any left.  I can remember beautiful stands of them along the roads, and there
was a time when we picked the buds from those beside our pond for stir-fries.
Yum!  But no more.  In the past 20 years the deer have multiplied so extremely
that our whole style of plantings has had to change.  Now if the deer would
only eat garlic mustard!