Re: Weekend plants and stuff

Hi, Andrea. I have a fantastic rex escargot in a hanging basket on the veranda. Needs to be re-potted. I don't know the maple-leaf one. Got a picture? I also have a non-rex that is curled like an escargot; it's called a "pig's ear." I don't know why.

The last plant sale we went to at University of South Florida, we had a nice chat with their begonia curator and ended up buying a B. aconitifolia that had been damaged [knocked off the table]. It's a large cane angelwing. Well, when we got it home we stashed it on the front patio and forgot about it. Ms. Fatma found it again yesterday. It has completely recovered from its misfortune and looks great. So we re-potted it. Also re-potted some dracaenas and a clump of bamboo palms that we raised from seeds; we planted the seeds 3 year ago and the palms are now 6 to 7 feet tall.

All the begonias here at the plantation--and there are lots and lots of them--are blooming now, although some, such as the five or six dragon wings, bloom all year. And the caladiums are risen. It is really satisfying to see a large pink leaf poke its way up through a fern bed and unfurl.

Lots of other stuff blooming--jatrophas [four species], bougainvilleas [three or four varieties], gerberas, gardenias, orange jasmine, confederate jasmine, allamandas, rubber vines, hibiscus, turks caps, Mexican petunias, non-Mexican petunias, crossandra, orchids and ground orchids, oleanders, crowns of thorns in all colors, desert roses in a bunch of colors, roses [we have two--a sorry red tea and a yellow miniature]. And I'm sure I've forgotten something.