Re: kittys sales and aphids

In a message dated 05/24/2004 8:53:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hodgesaa@earthlink.net writes:

> I did not know that aphids ate sedum. Learn something new every day.
> Unfortunately, I have no great suggestions. It seems to me that once a plant
> gets them, they are almost impossible to get rid of! The best luck I've had
> is that hard jet of water, and hort oil works good too. Plain old soapy
> water works (I use joy or dove) and mix it with hort oil. Maybe I just
> didn't spray often enough to completely kill them all.

I have had pretty good luck with spraying aphids and mealy bugs with a
concoction of rubbing alcohol and Dove dish soap - about 1/2  inch of each in a
quart spray bottle and fill it with water.  After I spray heavily with this, I
rinse off the plant with clear water - if it's a houseplant, I put it in the
sink, or outside, just spray it with the hose.  If you don't rinse afterwards,
some plants will burn, but if well rinsed, there seems to be no harm to plants,
and it takes care of either aphids or mealy bugs.  I hate to use poisons of any
kind, and this is pretty benign - and the price is right.  I've used this for