From: Melody [mailto: mhobertm@excite.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 02:41:02 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [CHAT] kittys sales and aphids

Kitty: If these plants are inside a greenhouse I would take
Donna's<br>suggestion and use ladybugs...one of their primary food
sources is<br>aphids. You can buy ladybugs online, I've seen them. One
of our local<br>nurseries stocks them occasionally. When the aphids are
gone, the<br>ladybugs will move on to other places where there are more
aphids. BTW,<br>do you have milkweed growing anywhere around where you
are having the<br>aphids? Aphids love milkweed and therefore, the
5/4)<br><br>"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
kmrsy@comcast.net > wrote:<br>From: Kitty [mailto:
kmrsy@comcast.net]<br>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date: Mon, 24 May 2004
20:03:29 -0500<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] kittys sales and
aphids<br><br>Thanks for the tip on the Itea. The Dahlias all sold at
the plant sale.<br>I<br>explained why the leaves didn't look right, but
that they were ok<br>to sell as<br>I had sprayed them twice and saw no
new signs of them.<br>They priced them<br>low - $2.50 - because of
aphids on a<br>variegated<br>herbaceous sedum. Last year we sprayed, we
quarantined, we<br>sprayed to no<br>avail. Fortunately they never even
tried a taste of<br>Frosty Morn, Carmen, or<br>Matrona. I thought the
winter would finish<br>them off, but they're back. I<br>figured since I
caught them early, I'd<br>have better luck eradicating them
by<br>pruning off the affected parts<br>and spraying with insecticidal
soap. This<br>will make them thicker with<br>2 more sales to sell them
in. However, during<br>the sale I noticed they<br>were back. I pinched
some more. Then just at the<br>end of the sale, I<br>noticed they were
now on other sedums. Good grief, can<br>anyone suggest<br>a sure fire
method for getting these nasty varmints off the<br>sedums. I<br>hate to
think of those we sold taking aphids to their

r>----- Original Message ----- <br>From:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Monday,<br>May 24, 2004 6:48
Meant to ask how your spider mites plants<br>survived... did they make
hot in the summer (looked like it was<br>> frying),<br>gave one last
hurray in the fall... no life in it this spring.<br>> Hope<br>you have a
have no rain dates for our events. We do have a room in
to<br>> > do it in<br>there, I suppose, but it would be a total
hort.net -- join the hort.net fund
Excite! - http://www.excite.com<br>The most personalized portal on the

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com