Re: Weekend plants and stuff

Donna, you have to be kidding! <s> You are not alone! I have a great
lawncare guy who takes care of the mowing and hedge trimming, and I'm
still miles behind on my yard.

Everything needs dividing this year, but so far, I've only dug up the
extra butterfly bushes and anise hyssop. I've planted half a dozen new
plants--have another two dozen waiting--and weeded about a sixth of the
beds. Or is it an eighth? I discovered on Saturday that I have some very
nasty thistles this year that I haven't had before, and they are
everywhere! All the beds need edging. There are five dead rose bushes to
dig out and two trellises to replace. The candytuft is full of grasses
that need to be picked out. The clumps of heirloom tomato plants need
thinning, etc., etc.

I could blame the thunderstorms we've been getting for my being so far
behind, but the real story is, I've been so busy with garden club
activities, my own garden hasn't had much attention yet.

Our club cleaned out its small public herb garden and replanted during
April. On May 10th, we did plant that perennial garden we promised for
the Alzheimer's wing of a local nursing home. There were eight of us
from the club working together, and the soil wasn't too bad, so the
whole thing took about three hours. We had an audience of nurses and
patients the entire time we were working. One of the nurses explained
that two of the ladies who were watching us work had been gardeners
themselves; they didn't even want to go in for their lunch! I never felt
more appreciated or more useful. A week later, the club presented a
recruitment tea to attract new members, and we acquired six new faces.
(All attached to strong backs and good knees, too! <g>) In June, more
recruitment efforts are coming up. Wish us luck!

Meantime, though, all the roses in my yard are in bloom at the same
time. I have about 40 plants, and they look so wonderful, I can mostly
look past the jobs I haven't gotten around to yet and just enjoy the
flowers. My two "Lavender Lassie" climbers on the tuteur are especially
beautiful right now, loaded with blooms! I wish you could see and smell

Emerging from lurk,

Wendy in SW OH