Re: kittys sales and aphids

Kitty wrote:

Meanwhile....we had a recurring problem with aphids on a variegated
herbaceous sedum.  Last year we sprayed, we quarantined, we sprayed to no
avail.  Fortunately they never even tried a taste of Frosty Morn, Carmen, or
Matrona.  I thought the winter would finish them off, but they're back.  I
figured since I caught them early, I'd have better luck eradicating them by
pruning off the affected parts and spraying with insecticidal soap.  This
will make them thicker with 2 more sales to sell them in.  However, during
the sale I noticed they were back.  I pinched some more.  Then just at the
end of the sale, I noticed they were now on other sedums.  Good grief, can
anyone suggest a sure fire method for getting these nasty varmints off the
sedums.  I hate to think of those we sold taking aphids to their new homes.

Kitty
Have you tried spraying with Neem ? Then there's what I'd call a
last resort, a systemic insecticide containing Imidacloprid.
It goes under the brand name 'Marathon' (granular, scratched into
the soil) and Bayer makes a liquid version. I don't have call to use
it (except I may have to on some Clivia seedlings with root mealybug);
DF and I discussed this years ago on maybe the old AHS list.
-jrf

--
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA